Monday, June 27, 2011

You Can't Help But Be Inspired- CrossFit Regionals

Last weekend we attended the Southern California CrossFit Regional Competition.  Since this was my first time attending any type of a CrossFit game, I wasn't sure what to expect.  I figured we'd see some amazingly strong people, but I had no idea what type of strength and endurance we'd witness.

Some of us were not as excited as others to be here.

The Regionals were a 3-day event with unbelievable, grueling workouts.  I've gathered it takes a special type of person to do 100 Pull-ups, 100 Kettlebell swings (53lb / 35lb), 100 Double-unders, 100 Overhead squats (95lb / 65lb) consecutively.  Even worse is having to do the work-out after one's palms are torn open from the pull-ups.  Perhaps even more incredible is watching a girl press 190 pounds over her head in a thruster and hold it!!  WOW!!  Watch her here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CveVZ4u38qo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

The athletes at the Regional competition are nothing but amazing!  Their dedication to CrossFit, nutrition, and training is unique.  These elite athletes were determined, lean and fit!

Becca Voigt, Lindsey Valenzuela, and Katie Hogan
Here's a photo of the girls from Valley CrossFit website

While watching these competitors with friends, we were compiling wish lists for the physiques of our dreams.  The abs, shoulders, and backs we dream of having.  The weight we dream of being able to lift.  The wish we had that we would have taken better care of ourselves when younger, or had a desire to compete like this in our 20's.

I know CrossFit is not for everyone and not every gal likes the athletic build, but oh well.  I like it!  I like strength of body, mind and character.  I'm no longer the 20-something with dreams of doing this type of activity, but I'll continue to do what I can do. 

This past week I accomplished something new.  I did a handstand against a wall.  I'm sure I did them as a kid, but not as an adult.  Once I get more comfortable with my handstand, I'll try the handstand push-up.  Did I mention one of the workouts at the Regionals was 1000m run, 30 handstand push-ups and a 1000m row?  WOW!

Here I am finally getting into the handstand.

Here's Becca Voigt pumping out 30 handstand push-ups.  See that black cushion under her head.  She had to touch it with her head for each count.

I think I got a huge dose of inspiration.  It will be interesting to see how these gals do at the upcoming CrossFit Games.  Go Valley CrossFit!

No comments: