Monday, June 20, 2011

Paleo-ish Blue Cheese Burger Wrap & Grilled Apples



Okay, maybe when reading the title this doesn't sound so good, but let me reassure you it was a TASTY meal tonight!

I'm now in the fourth week of a paleo month and feeling great!  I must admit the first couple weeks were pretty much the pits.  I'm not sure why because I usually eat pretty clean, not perfect, but overall pretty well.  But the first couple weeks, as gym members can attest to, I was on the floor.  When we had to do burpees, I'd lay on the floor after about 5 and have to re-group.  I was exhausted and it was all about food!

I'm feeling GREAT now!  I had the best 2-mile run I've had in weeks this morning, had a great CrossFit workout and then went for a 45 minute walk with a friend tonight.  Life is good!

Back to the burger...I've been thinking about ground beef with blue cheese for days.  Couldn't shake it!  If you're going strict Paleo with no dairy, this may not be the meal for you.  Actually, in two pounds of ground beef there is only a few tablespoons of blue cheese, so in my book not a deal killer.  The taste of the blue cheese is very subtle as is the faint sweetness of the apple and cranberries.

As I kept thinking about assembling a burger with blue cheese my mind went to one of my favorite salads we eat regularly at our home.  Greens, sliced apples, dried cranberries, onion, and blue cheese.  I wanted to make a burger out of this combination.

Kimberly's Blue Cheese {Paleo} Burger with Grilled Apples


Heat outdoor bbq for grilling.  We grill around medium depending on the fat content in the ground beef.  I'll cook a little lower just to control the fire that may result if the meat is too fatty.  I have a bad history of grilling fatty ribs!  Very humbling experience.

Ingredients:

2 pounds lean ground beef
1/4-1/2 cup diced onion (I love onion so I'd go more than 1/4 cup, but my sweetheart would lean to the 1/4- It's up to your taste).
3 Tablespoons dried cranberries (or more depending on your taste)
2-3 Tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
1 egg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper

Place ground beef and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl.  Incorporate all ingredients together with your hand.



Ready for patties
Using your hands, take a tennis ball size of meat and form into patty.  Place on grill.  Watch so the meat doesn't cook too quickly on the outside...I mean Char!

Cut a couple apple slices and place on the grill also.  Make sure they don't get too soft.



Grill burgers until they're desired doneness.



Assemble:

Take large leaf of Iceberg lettuce.  I know iceberg is the least nutritious lettuce.  If you want to wrap your burger in a giant spinach leaf, it'll be much better for you.  I miss my giant spinach I used to grow in my garden, so now I have iceberg.

Place burger inside lettuce, top with grilled apple and onion (yes, more onion- I love them and they're VERY good for the immune system).  Wrap it up and enjoy!

Burger on the lettuce, topped with grilled apple slice

Onions


All wrapped up!

So Good!  Enjoy!  I think a jalapeno would be a great addition too!

No comments: