Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Baseball Poetry

This year our oldest son took a writing class through a local homeschool education program.  I love writing and actually liked teaching him to write, but thought he might benefit from some instruction, encouragement, and deadlines from someone other than me.  

The class has been very good for him.  At first, he was a little overwhelmed.  Upon receiving assignments, we'd discuss the topic, research and brainstorm his ideas.  He'd begin writing and then we'd fill in the gaps together.  Eventually, as the year went on, he said, "Mom, I'll do it on my own.  You can proofread, but I'll do it in my own words."  Wow, my guy gained independence and confidence in his writing!

Today he had to turn in a poetry cube.  He had to choose a theme and write six poems based on his theme.  He chose "Baseball."  He wrote five of the six required poems.  I'm not quite sure why he didn't write the sixth poem.  Maybe it will be his writing assignment for tomorrow.

Here's what he came up with:

Baseball
The green grass smells sweet
Crackling under my huge feet
Will this moment end?
  
Baseball
Happy, Joyful
Jumping, Running, Hitting
What an amazing Game
Baseball
  
Baseball
The American Pastime
Catching
Diving, Swinging, Hitting
Baseball
   
Batting
Around
Safe!
Enjoyment
Bases
All at
Little
League
  
Jackie Robinson
There once was a time in baseball
When the game was not open to all
Then came a man
Who took a stand
And to him we’re forever grateful.

No comments: