Saturday, August 13, 2011

Montebello's Organic Roman Farro Salad


Recipes on packages can be a great place to begin if you're not sure how to try out a new food item.  On the back of the of the Montebello Organic Farro Perlato package (sold by Whole Foods, Imported by Spruce Foods) is a recipe for a wonderful farro salad.  You need to begin this recipe the night before to soak the farro properly.

Organic Roman Farro Salad

14 ounces Montebello Organic Farro
6 cups water & 2 tablespoons salt

1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
1/4 cup capers
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4-1/2 cup organic extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup chopped basil
salt & pepper to taste.

Soak farro in cold water for at least 8 hours.  Drain and combine farro with 6 cups fresh water in a medium saucepan.  Add salt.  Bring to boil over high heat.  Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until farro is tender, about 30 minutes.  Drain well, then transfer to a large bowl to cool.

Add tomatoes, basil, olives and capers to farro and toss.  Add the garlic, vinegar, salt, pepper, and olive oil and toss.  The salad can be refrigerated overnight.  Bring to room temperature before serving.

For nutritional information check out the Farro post.

Beautiful Ingredients

Enjoy!


2 comments:

Mara R. said...

I have made this several times and it is really, truly, wonderful. However, I am puzzled, (frustrated?), by this recipe which calls for 14 ounces of farro, presumably weighed out from it's 16 ounce package. What to do with the extra 2 ounces? Store it up for another batch? Throw the whole pound in to soak anyway? Cook them separately? Throw it away, heaven forbid, or compost it, almost as bad? Maybe you have a solution I haven't thought of yet and hopefully it doesn't require a great deal of mathematical calculations unless you have already mastered them and will share. Also - FARRO or FARO? Either way it is now my favorite grain - it is a grain right? Or is it a seed, or a combination of grains; each of these theories is expounded in Google. HUH? Whatever, right? YUM!

Kimberly said...

When I made this I'm guessing the Farro I purchased was a 14 oz. bag. I originally found it for this recipe at Whole Foods, but since our local Costco has started carrying it and I just buy the big, bulk bag. If I had a 16 ounce bag, I'd just include the extra 2 ounces. The beauty with cooking (not baking) is you can easily adjust the recipes to what you have on hand. I'm glad you like it! We love it! I made another recipe with it I found in the cookbook Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook. It was great also!