Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 3, A Cake-A-Day: Pistachio Pudding Cake


Baking out of the box.  Not usually my style. I admit it's kind of a pride issue (forgive me), but I think seeing all the ingredients going into a recipe is just better for us (even if they are refined).  Consequently, I prefer to make everything from scratch, but there are times when the box is either more convenient or it just works so well, why complicate things.  That's the case with the day's cake recipe...Pistachio Pudding Cake.

Many years ago, I was looking for ways to make our St. Patrick's Day extra special.  We had green eggs, green pancakes and needed to celebrate with a green cake.  I came across a recipe for Pistachio Pudding Cake and made it that one St. Patrick's Day many years ago. 

Our oldest son thought it was the best cake ever and decided to have it for his birthday that year.  Well, he's had it for his birthday every year since.  We still make it for St. Patrick's Day too, so at least twice a year this cake is a family tradition.

2007- This year I made it in a tube pan


I couldn't resist...I love this pic.  My sweetheart and my girlie.
Pistachio Pudding Cake

Prep Time: 20 min.
Total Time: 1 hr. 15 min.

1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix (I used Trader Josef's)
1 pkg. (4-serving size) JELL-O Pistachio Flavor Instant Pudding and Pie Filling
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup oil
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
7 drops green food coloring
powdered sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees.


First time trying Trader Josef's cake mix.  It's wonderful!

Accidently recycled the box before the photo.  Excuse the crease.

Place all ingredients except powdered sugar in large bowl.  Beat with an electric mixer on low speed just to moisten.  Beat on medium speed 4 minutes.  Pour into greased and floured tube pan or bundt pan.


Such a GREEN batter!


Bake 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove cake from oven.  Cool 15 minutes; remove from pan.  Cool completely on wire rack.  Dust with powdered sugar.


Coffee break!  Enjoy!

No comments: