Thursday, September 29, 2011

Post Root Canal Update

I know many of you are probably thinking, "Root Canal, Shmoot Canal!  What's the big deal?"  I've talked to people who say, "Yeah, I've had four of them."  Maybe everyone in America has had a root canal, and to them this is no big whoop-de-doo, but it's my first! So, I'm going to continue to bore you with my step-by-step-behind-the-scenes report.

I was told to take it easy today.  I was able to sleep 11 hours last night!  Haven't done that in FOREVER!  Usually I'm happy to get 6-8 hours.  With three kids at home to school there's not much taking it easy.  We're still doing school.  I'm still doing laundry.  But, unlike most days, I'm escaping to blog in the afternoon.

Here's the Root Scoop:  It went GREAT!

I visited the bathroom three times upon arriving to the endodontist's office.  I was not going to have an "accident" in the chair.

The anesthesiologist arrived.  Surprisingly, he wasn't 17!  He might have even been a little older than me.  He did have gray hair.  He was almost an hour late because his previous patient was a 27 year old heroin addict with no visible veins.  It took the doc a super long time to find a vein in this guy.  One glance at my hand and he openly expressed great joy at my strong, all powerful veins.  I'm so proud!  Apparently, I informed him they were weight lifting veins.  I'm a dork!

He soon told me the margaritas were coming.  That's the last thing I remember.

The next thing I know they were saying, "Time to wake up."

"Huh, what."

I didn't even know where I was.  It took me a second.  How in the world Michael Jackson was able to function after doing whatever he did is beyond me.  (Dr. Murray is in the news big time with the trial going on and I couldn't help but think of that situation when I was going in.)

The rest of my evening is a blur.  It is kind of like having a dream and remembering bits and pieces, but not quite sure what really happened.

One thing I found interesting was my continued subconscious obsession with rootbeer milkshakes.  About 14 years ago, I was put under during an IVF procedure.  Apparently, as I was drifting off I told the doc, "If I make it through this, I'm going to have a rootbeer milkshake." 

After that appointment, my hub told me what I said and we went to fulfill my last pre-op request.

Yesterday, I guess as I was drifting off I mentioned the rootbeer milkshake again.  I haven't had one in 14 years.  Weird.  I would love to have one, but calorie concern has prevented it.

Hmmm...Guess what I think?  I think Heaven has rootbeer milkshakes and I will have as many as I want for eternity.  Until then, I will fantasize about them as I drift off, or perhaps I will have a fantastic date one evening at a malt shop and my sweetheart will surprise me with my dream treat.  Hint, hint...

I'd like to send big thank you to the anesthesiologist and my wonderful family for taking such good care of me!  I REALLY APPRECIATE YOU!!

No comments: