Monday, October 17, 2011

Sweet Rice Cake



Many, many moons ago I went to a birthday party in Hawaii.  It was a huge bash and the recipient of such an enormous party was a one-year old.  I had never been to such a big birthday party, but I learned then that 1st birthdays are a big thing in Hawaii.

One of the desserts we had was a dense Filipino cake made with Sweet Rice Flour.  I loved this cake!  Sadly, at the time I couldn't find anyone who could give me the recipe. 

Over the next few months, through a lot of questions to various people I was able to reproduce a cake similar to what I enjoyed in Hawaii.

This cake has been a family favorite.  It is made with rice flour so it's great for those on a gluten-free diet.

Tonight one of our kids made it. It's super easy and if you like treats like mochi, you'll love this cake!

Sweet Rice Cake


1 cube butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 cups coconut milk (full fat)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 box Mochiko Sweet Rice Flour (16 oz)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour 9 X 13 baking dish.  Combine butter and sugar.  Add eggs.  Mix thoroughly.  Pour in coconut milk.  Blend.  Add dry ingredients, mix until combined.  Spread batter in 9 X 13 baking dish.  Batter is thick.  Bake 30-40 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Mochiko

Enjoy!  

No comments: