Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Life Without Facebook

Can you hear the crickets?  That's what I hear in my inbox...chirp, chirp, chirp.

Since taking the leap off of facebook, my time on the computer, and on my phone for that matter, has drastically decreased.  No more do I check in to see what my "friends" are up to.  No longer do I have the opportunity to post the events of our day.

I have to be honest, I do miss the posting and catching up with friends.  I can't even tell you how many times I've thought, "This would be a great status update!" or "I wonder what so-and-so is up to?"  I miss checking in with friends and being a part of the Facebook world, but for now this is a good thing.

About a day after I deactivated my account, a friend texted me letting me know another "friend" had taken a turn for the worst in her battle with cancer.  There are facebook status updates like this that are important.  I hope "friends" will keep me in the loop of critically important news.

Despite the lack of connection, there are many benefits to this hiatus.  After the first weekend off Facebook, I had ALL our bank statements balanced and up-to-date.  I've had time to really focus on the tasks at hand.  I've been able to catch up on projects that have been on the back-burner for an extended period of time. Listing items on ebay has once again become part of my daily goals.  I'm hoping to begin the ancestry study I've been wanting to do for such a long time.

Admittedly, leaving the Facebook world has been a tough endeavor.  I know that sounds crazy, but perhaps, in my case, it was addictive.  The checking in and posting is great fun, but it's also very time consuming.  Facebook was a great escape for a mom at home with three littles.  It was my connection to the outside world.  When we first moved, over two years ago, it was a fantastic vehicle to keep friends and family up-to-date with our life events in SoCal.  It was also a great way to connect and reconnect with long losts.  Through Facebook I was able to locate long lost family members and reconnect with them.  Love that!

Perhaps, I'll make the leap back to fb one day in the future, but for now this time off is a good thing with valuable rewards.

No comments: