Friday, October 21, 2011

Chicken Cacciatore

Chicken Cacciatore with roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash

Martha is the Queen!  Some of my favorite recipes are from various Martha Stewart cookbooks.  One book with great, quick cooking recipes is Martha Stewart's Quick Cook Menus.  I've made this Chicken Cacciatore recipe a number of times and it's great for a flavorful crowd pleasing meal.  It's a tasty chicken dinner option when we're following a paleo eating program served alongside roasted vegetables.  A side of pasta is a great accompaniment also, but not for the paleo folk.

Chicken Cacciatore
(I usually double this recipe if we're having company, or if I want to make sure we have leftovers).

Marinade
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup red wine
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Cajun spice for chicken (optional, I use my prepared Baby Bam)
Sliced onions and olives, optional

1 (3 pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces (or I use boneless thighs, and breasts)
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine marinade ingredients, mix well.  I usually add onion and sometimes olives for added texture and flavor.  Place chicken in a large shallow baking dish.  Pour marinade over the chicken and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.  I'm never this organized, so I let it sit with marinade for at least an hour and it always turns out great.


At this point I usually sprinkle with a little kosher salt .

Preheat broiler.  Broil chicken pieces 8-10 minutes.  Turn over and baste with marinade.  Cook 8-10 minutes longer or until done.  I've also done this meal and baked at 425 degrees for about 10-15 minutes each side.  Check chicken to make sure breasts are done, but try not to over cook.  Use red marinade as sauce for pasta if serving alongside pasta.


No comments: