Saturday, April 14, 2012

Zucchini Salad



A girlfriend gave me Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes recently.  I must say I'm very impressed with the layout.  Jamie provides a menu for dinner, then gives step by step preparation guidelines to successfully have a tasty, unique dinner on the table, in minutes.  While perusing the pages, I couldn't decide where to begin, so I started with page one.


The first menu option had orcchiette pasta, zucchini salad and a prosciutto cantaloupe salad.  I will introduce you to the pasta dish next, but first I'd like to share the zucchini salad.


When trying something new, like a zucchini salad, I wonder how the kids would react to it.  Would they like it or turn up their noses to shaved zucchini?  Our kids aren't picky eaters, so I had high hopes.


Well, guess what? 


They LOVED it!!  


It's completely gone!


And...it was very simple.


Instructions


2 zucchinis
3 springs fresh mint
1 chile, if desired
zest of one small/medium lemon
juice of 1/2 a lemon
olive oil
kosher salt
pepper


Take two small-medium sized zucchinis and thinly slice them with a carrot/potato peeler.  Place zucchini in a bowl.  Next, chop the leaves from three sprigs of fresh mint.  Add to the bowl.  Add zest from one medium lemon and the juice from 1/2 of the lemon.  Toss the zucchini, mint and lemon zest/juice.  Drizzle with a couple tablespoons of olive oil.  Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper.  Add fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired.  Enjoy!


Jamie recommend adding one small chopped chile also, but I didn't add it because the kiddos are not to keen on spicy hot.

No comments: