Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Day at Knott's Berry Farm


Last week visited Knott's Berry Farm. It was a fun day enjoyed by all.

Our little girlie (and her mom) enjoy the merry-go-round, bumper cars and the like. She also liked the Ride the Rapids which made her think the log ride would produce a similar experience. Little did we know what we were getting ourselves into.

We didn't know that a portion of the log ride is in complete, pitch-black, darkness. That feeling of dark emptiness scared her and gave my heart reason to become a bit anxious. I was concerned for my girlie. I didn't want this ride to scare her. She was aware of the drop soon approaching, but after the darkness the drop seemed even more intimidating.

A few moments before the drop she began to cry. Her fear was overwhelming her and I just wanted to take it away. Crazy thoughts crossed my mind, "I bet I could just grab her and jump off this ride and have someone come get us." But I knew I couldn't act that fast and the impending drop was just going to have to happen.

When she saw the light and the upcoming downhill the tears really started to fall. I held her tightly and thought, "It'll soon pass."

We survived the ride, but tears and lots of hugs followed.

Watching our kids go through scary moments or tough situations breaks a mom's heart. For some reason the thought of my own mom standing beside me through the births of our 3 children crossed my mind as I was holding on to our little girl down the log ride. I thought of my mom knowing the pain I'd go through and encouraging me through it. Sometimes there's a pain we can't take away, we can just be there to hug and encourage.

I'm thankful for a mom who encourages and hugs.

Thanks Mom for being there!

No comments: