Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Some Mornings are Just Great

Some mornings I wake up, drag myself out of bed and quickly head to the coffee pot for a little caffeine pick-me-up. Such a day is not filled with early morning joy or enthusiasm.

Today is a different kind of day. The kind of day I love! I wake early and feel completely rested. The kids are still asleep and the house is silent. The quiet is so wonderful! I tip toe around so as not to make a sound to cause the littles to stir. I open my Bible study and have a 1/2 hour of uninterrupted "quiet time." And to top off a great morning, the study for today is so compelling! Love it!

I'm currently finishing up Believing God by Beth Moore. It's a great study...some parts are eye opening and encouraging. Others are convicting and challenging.

Today the study was entitled, "One Believing Man." A brief story of the life of D.L. Moody was described. D.L. Moody was an uneducated man, but set out to be a man who was determined to live a life fully and wholly consecrated to God.

He had an amazing life establishing schools, street missions, soup kitchens, and other charitable organizations.

One thing Beth revealed in her description of this amazing man of God is that he was "Teachable."

She writes, "One characteristic of this believing man impresses me most: Dwight Lyman Moody was originally uneducated but his unceasing teachability produced a scholar of scholars. Early in his ministry Moody had little use for grace theology. Then a man named Moorhouse visited Chicago and had a transforming effect on him. Moody invited the former pickpocket-turned-evangelist to preach while he was away. On learning that Moorhouse taught God's love for the worst of sinners, Moody retorted, 'Then he is wrong.' Having heard the sermon, Moody's wife, Emma, suggested that Moorhouse could back up every word from Scripture. When Moody returned to church the next sunday morning, everyone had a Bible."

She continues, "I am impressed by D.L. Moody's willingness to receive constructive criticism and go forward with such zeal that his weakness ultimately became his strength. Beloved, sometimes our hearts are right, but our doctrine is wrong. What fruit is produced when we agree to be teachable...and perhaps even say we were mistaken!"

How powerful!!

It is my desire to have a teachable heart. To learn more and more about the heart of Jesus and to grow in his likeness.

I recently read Sacred Influence and so much about being a godly wife was revealed to me. Life is a process of continuous growth. As Christians we should consistently be striving to have the heart of Jesus. To love what he loves, and hate what he hates.

I hope today continues in the great way it began...the sun is shining, I'm convinced it'll be GREAT!

No comments: