Saturday, January 31, 2009

This Week- Hold Them

This week was an emotional one. On Tuesday we prepared a meal for a family struggling with a sick little one. Their 7-year old son has a brain tumor. He has done remarkably well for the type of cancer he has, but began failing in December.
The little guy and our middle son are in the same Sunday school class. We don't know the family, but have been following their blog and praying for them.
It breaks my heart to know of any child suffering, but I've been so impressed with the way this family is handling the painful life situation. They are living each day to the fullest and embracing the wonders that surround them. They are so optimistic, loving and encouraging.
As I dropped the food off, I introduced myself, told them of the food and then the Mom gave me a hug, kissed me on the cheek and thanked us. I was blessed by her sweetness and strength. Amazing!
When I got home I checked my email and found that an acquaintance had been in a car wreck while taking her girls to school in the morning and her 7-year old daughter had tragically been killed in the wreck. This stopped me in my tracks. The road she was on was one we travel often. And she was doing what so many of us do every day..taking our children to school and activities.
How does this happen? She woke up one morning and was just doing life and then in a flash it has all changed.
That Tuesday night I climbed into bed with my sweetheart, paused, and then told him I'd be back later. He asked where I was going. I responded I was going to cuddle with my 7-year old and hold him. I want to cherish each moment with the precious children we've been blessed with.
This has given me much to think about this week. I've looked my children in the eye more and intently listened to their many stories. I hope to live each day to the fullest and enjoy the moments together!

1 comment:

Nettie said...

oh miss .. thank you for making me pause a moment ... I will be lovin' up on mine today!!!
I heard about the accident yesterday - truly heart breaking!
Thinking of you and yours!`