Wednesday, January 07, 2009

An Amazing Moment in Time

As Christians we know that God is Omnipresent. He is everywhere, all the time. But there are some moments in life where we "Feel" His presence more than others. Yesterday was one of those days.
I was asked to provide a meal for a family going through a tough time. Comfort food was the request. A beloved wife, mom, and friend is nearing the end of her days on this side of eternity as her physical body is wearing out due to cancer.
All day yesterday my mind prepared for the experience of meeting this precious woman of God and her family and hopefully blessing them with the meal. Little did I know the blessing would be mine.
God provided amazing words throughout the day. The kids and I are reading In My Father's House by Corrie Ten Boom. The words of encouragement found in this book are plentiful, but yesterday the writings were especially lifting.
Remembering her father's words from her youth, "Girl, it makes all the difference. Moses tells us in the Book of Deuteronomy that God is a dwelling place. We have the promise of security when His arms are beneath us... holding us...supporting us... strengthening us." Years later, Corrie was trying to comfort her sister in the concentration camp. "I tried to think of something comforting to say to her before we fell asleep, and suddenly I remembered the dining room, the red and black tablecloth, and Father saying in his calm voice, '...underneath are the everlasting arms.'"
"God is our Dwelling Place. Underneath are the everlasting arms."
What comfort are in these words!
In addition we read, "Father said, 'Isn't it wonderful to have such joy here on earth? It's a little foretaste of heaven. Yes, the best is yet to be.'"
The Best is Yet to Be!
These words prepared my heart to meet a woman who will soon meet her Savior and experience the best that lies ahead. Right now she is in the comforting everlasting arms of God waiting for the best which is yet to be.
I walked into the apartment and there in the living room lay a woman in a hospital bed surrounded by her husband, daughter and daughter-in-law. I was not met by misery but joy and gratitude. I set the food down in the kitchen and explained what I brought, but my heart just wanted to get back to the living room to pray with her. I was drawn to her like a magnet. It was unstoppable. The blessing to hold this precious woman's hand and pray. Jesus was in that place!
I couldn't stay long because I had kids to pick up and deliver to the next event, but my heart wanted to turn around and go back to that place. Back to the presence of a believer waiting to meet her Lord and the Lord awaiting one of his children.
Sometimes life offers you an opportunity to bless someone, but the blessing is ours. I was so outblessed by the experience than any earthly food can offer.
I hope to visit her once again on this side of eternity, but if the Lord calls her home before that visit, I know her face and I know she is in the comfort of everlasting arms.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hi Kim. It's Rachel Oscarson. I just received your Christmas letter and saw your blog address on it. Loved your post today. Brought tears to my eyes and a renewed focus to my day. I'll enjoy checking your blog regularly. Ours is at oscarsoncrew.blogspot.com if you get a chance to check. I've been hoping to get Ari and Audrey together sometime. Fun w/ other homeschool families is important! I'll call you. Blessings to you today!