Monday, January 19, 2009

Fresh Spring Rolls



Our children love to cook and help out in the kitchen. And we love fresh spring rolls. They are so easy and a healthy choice for a dinner appetizer or lunch meal.
This particular night I had a lot of help from our middle son. I cut up the vegetables and cooked the shrimp and he rolled his little heart out.
The trick to rolling these is not in the process, but in the soaking of the rice paper. I had a Vietnamese friend who gave us an inside scoop. He said just soak the rice paper in luke warm water for a few seconds until pliable and then lay them out and roll. If you soak them too long they'll just rip and fall apart.
We dip our rolls in a peanut sauce. You can make one from scratch, but I've found an easy and tasty method. I just put some hoison sauce in a bowl, add the juice from one lime and add a couple tablespoons of sugar. Stir and top with chopped peanuts.
Yum! Yum!

No comments: