Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Baking Day: Company Cookies


I promised my girlie a baking day yesterday.  We went garage sale-ing on Saturday and she found a new cookbook.  It is a Gooseberry Patch cookbook called Old-Fashioned Country Cookies.  I asked her to pick whatever recipe she wanted to bake and we'd do it.  She chose a recipe called Company Cookies.


Company Cookies looked similar to chocolate chip cookies, with exception to two things:  they are baked in logs, and...they had oil instead of butter.  Those of you who know my baking, know I'm a BUTTER girl!  I love butter in baking and regularly will use butter if vegetable oil or shortening are called for.  I have to be honest, I cringed when I read 3/4 cup of oil as one of the ingredients, but it's the recipe my girlie chose.  I could have used butter, but instead decided to live on the edge.  Yikes!

We invited some friends over to bake with us.  There were four girls total, so we divided into two groups of two.  The girls took turns adding ingredients and stirring.  They all did a wonderful job! 

Despite my concerns about the oil, the cookies turned out great and the girls were all happy with the taste of the cookies, and the dough got a thumbs up too!

Company Cookies

Ingredients

3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
3/4 cup oil (we used Canola)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup nuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients together.  Divide dough into four balls.  Roll each ball out into a long about 6-8 inches long.  Place on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes.  Allow to cool a few minutes then slice into cookies.


Just out of the oven

Sliced

A plateful of treats

The oil makes a flaky, yummy cookie.  Surprise!
This cookie dough can be made in advance, rolled in logs, wrapped in plastic wrap, placed in the freezer and pulled out when needed.  Just thaw and bake as directed.

No comments: