Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Embracing the Slow-Cooker: Texican Chili



In the action-packed life of homeschool mom, activities coordinator, sports enthusiast, and taxi driver sometimes the role of chef gets moved to the back burner.  Many days we're doing easy, quick dinners like grilled meats, salads, and roasted vegetables.  These are great healthy meal options, but it's also great to mix it up.

I'm a lover of soups, stews and chili.  I have friends who joke that when they come over we're always having soup.  We don't have soups that often, but when I'm in the mood for them, we may have them every night for a week or so.

I think the soup bug hit me a couple weeks ago so I pulled out the slow cooker.  I've been on the hunt to find healthful recipes that are also flavorful.  Recently we had Texican Chili.  I've made some alterations to this Fix-It and Forget-It meal.  Our family likes a chunky, hearty chili and this one fit the bill.

Texican Chili

Ingredients

8 slices bacon, diced
2 1/2- 3 lbs. beef stewing meat, cubed
2- 28-oz. can stewed tomatoes
15- oz. can tomato sauce
16-oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used two 16-oz. cans)
2 cups sliced carrots
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2-1 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1.  Cook bacon in skillet until crisp.  Drain on paper towels.


embracing the bacon

2.  Brown beef in bacon drippings in skillet.

3.  Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.


Mounds of meat and vegetables

4.  Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.  Stir occasionally.




Beautifully Chunky!

Yum!


No comments: