Wednesday, July 27, 2011

On The Grill: Roasted Chicken


Roasted Chicken from Costco is a family favorite when we're short on time and want a nutritious, protein-rich main dish that is affordable.  I decided to try roasting a whole chicken on the grill to see how it compared with Costco's chicken.  We may not be buying many Costco chickens in the future.

Roasted Chicken on the BBQ

Heat grill.

Wash the chicken, pat it dry and place in a glass baking dish.



Rub the chicken with Organic Coconut Oil.



After the Coconut Oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, pepper, and Spike seasoning.




Make a foil tray.




Overlap foil and make a seam.

Fold seam twice so juices don't escape.

Open back up and lay flat.


Fold edges up.  My dad taught me this trick.

Place foil on grill.  Set chicken on foil.


Maybe this guy is upside down.

I think he definitely is!!  He's giving me a weird sign with his wings.  Reminds me of a flight attend, "We have rear and side exits." 

I heat the grill on high and then lower to Medium/Low just before I put the chicken on.


Allow to cook for 1 hour 15 minutes or until golden brown.


His wings chilled out.  I wanted them up because I love crispy wings.

This is so yummy!  The meat just falls off the bone.
When you're done with the chicken meat, or most of it, don't throw away the carcass.  Coming up I'll post a wonderful, kid-friendly chicken and rice soup our kids are crazy for!  Today I read about the nutritional value and importance of meat broths and how vital they are to our health.  I'm never going to want to throw a bone away again.  Soup recipe coming up!

No comments: