Wednesday, June 13, 2012

More Than a Sandwich...Treat Dad to a MANWICH



My mom sent me a forwarded email this morning titled MANWICH.  The name alone peaked interest so I checked it out.  What followed were photos of a SERIOUS sandwich that the likes of Guy Fieri would drool over.  I decided I would give it a try as we're trying to show added appreciation this week for my sweetheart and Dad to our kiddos.  How could we go wrong with sourdough bread, steak, bacon, Swiss cheese, mushrooms, onion and BBQ sauce?




I purchased sirloin steaks at Costco and then sliced them in half to make thinner steaks.  Grill the steaks slightly, to desired doneness.  I went for about medium.





In the meantime, sauté mushrooms and onion.  I used one large onion and a Costco sized package of mushrooms.  I'll use the extras in another dish later.



Cook up one pound of bacon.

Cut top off of a sourdough bread bowl.  I bought  mine at Whole Foods and it ended up being a whole wheat sourdough.  It wasn't as fluffy looking as a regular sourdough boule, but it worked fine.  Trim out extra bread from inside and from top.



Lay grilled steak on bottom of bread bowl.  Top with BBQ sauce and sprinkle with a little Worcestershire sauce.  Top with bacon, Swiss cheese, pack on the mushrooms and onion, another layer of steak and BBQ sauce, then one more layer of Swiss cheese.  Place bread top on and wrap in parchment paper, then wrap in foil.

Put steak in bread bowl and top with BBQ sauce

Top with Bacon

Add Swiss Cheese

Lather with mushrooms/onions

Add more steak and slather on more BBQ sauce

Add another layer of cheese

Top with bread lid
Wrap in Parchment Paper, then wrap in Foil

I placed the foil wrapped package on the grill heated to medium low and let set for 15 minutes.

Bring in and place a cutting board on top.  Top with books or weights to flatten the sandwich out.  Let set for an hour or two.

The sandwich is like Atlas...holding the weight of the world!


Heavy!

After an hour or so...time for the reveal

Mmmmm....

Sliced!


Dinner is Served

It was a Success!  Manwich for the Man!

This would be a great Father's Day lunch item!  Lots of Meat, and very filling!  Next time I may try some variations.  I could see a yummy turkey sandwich with roasted bell peppers, or perhaps turkey with pesto and provolone...Oh, the possibilities!

No comments: