Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Kale Salad with Yam Noodles



I've heard so many people tell me they don't like kale.  Sadly, I hear it most often in our own house.  I don't get it.  Taste wise, kale is GREAT!  It's crunchy, lends great color to a salad, but the best thing about kale is its nutritional value!  I've heard it's the most nutritionally dense vegetable!  According to Livestrong.com
Dark green leafy vegetables are rich in iron, dietary fiber, calcium, vitamins B, E and K, protein, carotenoids and other antioxidants.
You really can't go wrong eating kale.


Today I was shopping at Whole Foods and they were demo-ing a kale salad with yam noodles.  I've used yam noodles in  Chinese cooking before, but never in a salad. One taste and I was sold!

Note, like kale, you can't go wrong with Yam Noodles.  They don't have nutritional benefits, but add great texture and variation to the salad.  I bought Shirataki White Yam Noodle Substitute.  They are calorie free, gluten free, cholesterol free, vegan, sugar free and soy free.  I think they're basically air in the shape of a noodle.

I came home and tried to recreate the salad.

Here it is.

Kale & Yam Noodle Salad 
One package Shirataki Yam Noodle Substitute- 8 oz.
1/2-1 bunch kale
handful of dried cranberries
1/2-1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 Serrano pepper minced
1 1/2 limes, squeezed for juice
1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
1-2 tablespoons light olive oil
kosher salt to taste

Rinse yam noodles and place in boiling water for 1 minute.  Drain.  Cut into smaller strands.

With scissors, cut leafy kale from stock.  Discard stock/stem.

Place kale, noodles, cranberries in a large bowl.

Blend garlic, pepper, lime juice, rice vinegar and olive oil together.  Pour over kale mixture and toss well.  Sprinkle with kosher salt to taste.



Enjoy!


No comments: