Sunday, November 06, 2011

Caramel Corn

Homemade Caramel Corn

One of the most amazing, aromatic, mouth watering scents I can think of is the smell of fresh caramel corn.  Caramel corn is a fall favorite!  Along with kettle corn, it's also a favorite when we go to Disneyland.  

When we arrive at Disneyland, whether by tram or in the Downtown Disney parking lot the first thing we smell is either the fresh caramel corn or kettle corn.  Both are amazing!  For about $8, the large bag of this delicious treat can be purchased for the whole family to enjoy.  As far as Disney treats go, I feel it's on the more economical side.  For the $8, everyone in the family gets their fill and there is usually leftovers.  Compare that with the $4 ice cream only one to two people get to share.

Even better than buying at fresh caramel corn at Disney, is making it at home.  One benefit of making it at home is we spend a fraction of the cost.  A huge negative to making it at home, is I usually eat WAY too much of it!  Usually I can say, "No," to treats, but Caramel Corn is a weakness.

This recipe can be found in my Grandma's Favorite Recipes book.  It's her collection of her hand written recipes given to me by my parents.  I had to have the book laminated and rebound when I received it.  It has been loved!

This is Cookbook History
Caramel Corn

(This recipe in the book is written by my mom, in my Grandma's book.  I can't remember where the recipe originated from, but we LOVE it)!

Ingredients

6 quarts popped popcorn (We pop ours the old fashioned way on the stove in a pot with oil- no microwave popcorn).

1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light Karo syrup
1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt  butter in large saucepan on stove.  Stir in brown sugar, syrup and salt.  Bring to boil.  Boil 5 minutes without stirring.

Remove from heat, stir in baking soda and vanilla.  It will bubble up and foam!

Pour brown sugar/caramel mixture over popped corn.  Mix well.  Pour into large shallow baking dish.  I use a large roasting pan.

Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  After the hour, remove from oven.  Allow to cool a bit, then break apart.

Enjoy!

Fresh, popped popcorn

Brown sugar and syrup mixture beginning to boil

Caramel poured over popcorn

Fresh out of the oven


Enjoy!

No comments: