Friday, December 10, 2010

Little Things in Life

Can I just say I'm SO thankful for all the men and women who dutifully serve our wonderful country in the Armed Forces?  Just think all over the world US men and women are serving, away from home, doing their day-to-day jobs, but ultimately protecting our country and our freedom.

Today as I was packaging up some items sold on ebay I was pleasantly surprised when I looked at the recipient's name and address and found out he was a SSGT in Avionics at an FPO somewhere possibly in Europe.  So cool!  My dad was in Avionics when I was growing up and suddenly I felt a kinship to this young man.  I know it sounds weird, but I felt like that.  I wrote him a note on the packing slip thanking him for his service and wishing him a Merry Christmas.  What I really wanted to suddenly do is send him a care package.  But then I thought that might be even more weird.

So instead of sending this young man a care package, I posted an inquiry on Facebook asking "friends" if they knew of someone serving in Iraq or Afghanistan to whom we could send a package.  Now I'm checking my status constantly to see if anyone posts.

I hope an opportunity arises to let someone know they are thought of and appreciated.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments: