Friday, December 03, 2010

Letting Go of The Stuff

Letting go of MY STUFF is REALLY hard!  It makes me want to cry!  I love beautiful dishes, stunning displays, and a well-decorated home.  But sometimes all the stuff can be just too much. 

When I was growing up, my family never had a set of China and for some reason having a "Special" set of dishes was something I always wanted.  I remember going to friends' homes where the family buffet displayed china and glassware.  It looked so beautiful to my budding inner Martha Stewart.  When I grew up, I hoped to one day to have a set of china to entertain family and friends during holidays and celebrations.

When my sweetheart and I got engaged, we (more like I) picked out a sweet, feminine Noritake China pattern.  When we got married, we received many pieces, but all in all, it was only service for five.  Over the past 18 years of marriage we've never completed the set.  Consequently, we have only used it a handful of times on an anniversary, or if it was only our immediate family, we'd use it on Thanksgiving.

These days, that sweet, light pink floral with a silver lining just doesn't seem to fit our current style.  In our life with three active children, stoneware seems to be the more practical choice.  Furthermore, space is now limited and storage of another incomplete set of dishes just doesn't seem practical.  Rather than storing the incomplete set, I'd like to pay off some debt and save for something more useful to our family.  So, with apprehension and hesitation, I listed my wedding china on ebay.  I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do or not.

The wedding china might move out, but I'll definitely keep the man and the kids.


1 comment:

mamma manzo said...

You always find a way to my heart. I love reading your blogs I love the stories you tell and I love being your friend. You inspire me in so many ways.
Thank you