Monday, December 22, 2008

Comfort Food- Cream of Chicken Soup


Stranded at home. Laundry is done. House rearranged. No mail. Still cooking up a storm. The weather condition is keeping us at home and when I'm at home without something pressing to do- I cook.

Today I made Sparkling Cranberry Muffins, Cranberry Coffee Cake and Cream of Chicken Soup, and I'm not talking Campbell's. I'll post the cranberry recipes later, but I wanted to get the soup on first. You may be at home cold and this will warm you up in a jiff.

I got this recipe from The Cozy Home Cookbook by Gooseberry Patch. I like to use Costco rotisserie chickens for soup. They are so well-flavored and add that special something to soups. Even if we eat the chicken I usually boil the carcass for broth. So good!

Cream of Chicken Soup

4-5 pound chicken (I used a rotisserie chicken from Costco)
2 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup orzo pasta, cooked (the orzo is like little dumplings in the soup-yum!)
1 cup cake flour (I used regular flour)
1 1/2 cup cold water
2 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Place chicken in a stockpot, cover with water and boil until chicken juices run clear when pierced (not necessary if you use Costco rotisserie chicken, just cook until meat easily falls off bones). Remove meat from bone and return to stockpot. Add celery, carrots and onion to broth. Bring to a simmer and add orzo to broth; bring to a boil. Blend (cake) flour and cold water, stir until smooth and add to the broth when it boils. Add milk and simmer until soup thickens, stirring often. Add salt, pepper, parsley and garlic powder.
Enjoy with a rustic baguette or other crusty bread.

No comments: