Monday, December 22, 2008

Comfort Food- Beef Stew


We're enjoying many varieties of comfort food that warm the heart and fill the tummy on these cold winter days. The other day I made a VERY easy version of Beef Stew. It's made in a crock pot. So all you need to do is cut up the beef and the vegetables, layer them, and let the crock pot do its thing.

Beef Stew

2 1/2-3 pounds stew meat (I cut up a roast in cubes. I added a bit more since my man likes his protein)
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt (I ended up putting in about another 1/2-1 teaspoon of salt, add to your taste)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups beef broth (I did 1 cup beef broth, 1 cup red wine)
1 Tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
2-3 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon oregano
4-6 cups cubed, peeled potatoes
3 cups carrot chunks
2 onions, chopped
2-3 stalks celery, chopped
1-14 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups peas, frozen
1 cup corn kernels

Place meat in a crock pot. Sprinkle with flour and stir. Add all other ingredients except peas and corn. Add these the last hour of cooking. Cook on low 8-9 hours. Enjoy!

No comments: