Thursday, February 23, 2012

What's Your Impact?

Throughout your busy day, are your thoughts constantly wrestling with the multitude of philosophical questions plaguing society? I grapple consistently with so many topics bouncing around my overactive brain.  Perhaps, my obsessive tendencies cause me to return to these questions, or perhaps I just want to know the answers.  The world gives us one answer to life's questions, but God gives us a much different answer.  His Word tells us:
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:8-9

One of the pervading questions I ponder deals with "Purpose" and/or "Impact."  Am I fulfilling my purpose in life and is this life making an impact for God's glory?

I don't know.

I'd like to hope so, but I'm not sure the answer is completely known on this side of heaven.

This past week a friend lost her son.  It was Valentine's Day. Her son, Malcolm, was such a blessing.  I didn't know him, but through the socially interactive world of Facebook, I've seen his impact.

Malcolm  had hydraencaphaly.  I didn't even know what this condition was until I did a little research.

What I've gathered from internet research was Malcolm was born without the hemispheres of the brain.  Where his brain should have been were just sacs of fluid. Most children do not live one year with this condition, yet Malcolm lived 22 years!

This amazes me!

As I mentioned, this week as I've been reading comments from friends and family of Malcolm's, I'm flabbergasted at what an impact this little guy had on the world and those around him.

Malcolm never spoke a word, yet blessed so many.

WOW!  I think this is testimony of God's ways are not our ways.

Every day if our prayer is, "God use me in a way that glorifies You!" If you're willing, He will use you.

Malcolm glorified God, despite his worldly limitations.

Many might say say, "What was his quality of life?"  Obviously that thought comes from worldly thinking, not God's thinking.

Who are we to be the measuring stick of quality when our ways are not a reflection of God's ways?

I can't stop thinking of this little guy, his 22 years, and the impact he made on the world.

He never walked.  He never talked.  He smiled and exuded joy.

Impact.

This morning my mom sent me this amazing video of Scott Hamilton.  In in he says, "The only disability in life is a bad attitude."  This short 10-minute video shares events of Scott's life that made him the man God designed.  Watch it to see God's Big Picture on Scott's life.  In the day to day trials, we do not see what God has in store or the ways He will use us for His Glory!

Scott Hamilton - I Am Second

So many of us want to make an impact on the world.  Some are able to travel the globe helping the poor and needy, spreading the Love of Christ.  Some are able to serve in BIG ways as a measure of impact.

But what if you can't?  What if you have some sort of worldly limitation? What if you're in a wheelchair? What if you can't afford to go? What if you're a mom at home raising a few kids? What if you can't speak? What if you're opportunity to serve/impact looks completely different than the worldly definition?

Can God use your life to impact the world for His Kingdom?

Obviously, He can!

What if Malcolm was never given the opportunity to bless those around him? God's perspective on life is so different than our limited selfish view.  I can scarcely fathom.

Without Malcolm, I think the world would have missed out on someone special.

There aren't many moms out there like Malcolm's mom.  This is true.  She's one amazing, dedicated, self-sacrificing woman.  She saw blessing in her son and those around him were also blessed.

Viewing this family from the outside has really impacted my world this week.  I can't stop thinking about them.  I sense there's been a shift in my thinking somehow.

The view of impact and purpose has been altered.

I so often think, "What else can I do?"  Today I'm wondering, "If I just sit and be quiet, what else can God do?"

I admit, I'm a spinner.  I spin around and around hoping somehow there will be impact, but too often I'm left feeling empty.  Perhaps, my spinning is out of my own strength.

I know I'm rambling...trying to make sense of it all.

Our church is partnering with local schools to minister to the community. On Sunday we heard stories of kids who just need a listening ear; teachers who are surprised by this unexpected commitment; and principals who welcome the service. All three groups are brought to tears by the acts of service.  The church expects nothing in return, no recognition.  There are just people with servant's hearts willing to be used by the Lord.  In their service they are impacting individuals and a system very much in need of support.

Local impact.  I like it.

What is your impact?  Are you available for God to bless others through your life?

Impact.

No comments: