Friday, December 23, 2011

Because I Have A Million Other Things To Do... I'll Sit & Reflect On Christmas Music Like a Great Procrastinator

Oh my word!  Has this month just flown by or what? My kids have reminded me once again there are only 2 days until Christmas (really just one since all the festivities are tomorrow).  Unbelievable!  I don't like how quickly the days have passed.  This isn't what I had envisioned for our December.

Every year I hope to EXPERIENCE Christmas in some sort of amazing way.  My vision is to not procrastinate.  In the perfect world I'd have presents wrapped, cookies baked, and cards sent by December 1st.  Every week we'd light an advent candle and focus on why we're celebrating: Christ's birth. Then I'd spend the next 24 days laying under the tree, gazing at the lights, playing games with our kids and listening to Christmas music until we fall asleep.  It all sounds so beautifully romantic.  Love it!

But...

That's not my life at all.

Instead, it's December 23 and I'm behind, or maybe I'm on time (Kim time).  I remind myself, every year there is only one year to plan and prepare, yet I still can't seem to pull it together.  Recently, I read a post about moms who do a whole lot of Crazy Elf on the {Stinkin'} Shelf thing.  I do not know even what this is, but there's no way I could squeeze it into the schedule.  Here's the link to the funny read, minus the *!@#$%^!! words.

http://peopleiwanttopunchinthethroat.blogspot.com/2011/12/over-achieving-elf-on-shelf-mommies.html

In contrast here's my current "To Do" list update:
  • I just got the Christmas cards out yesterday.  Hopefully friends will receive them by the 24th, but there's no guarantee. 
  • Packages were just mailed in the last couple days.  I hope they arrive on time too.  Day after delivery just isn't as exciting as before Christmas delivery.
  • I didn't do much baking. I did make gingerbread cookies twice, and they're cut outs, so I think they count for double points.  I really wanted to give baked goods as gifts to neighbors, milkman, postman and garbage man, but it hasn't happened yet and we won't have garbage day until after Christmas.  Poor garbage man.
  • We never got around to the advent thing.  Our kids know it's about Jesus.  I have to be okay with that.
  • I had hoped to read a book a day to the kids with a Christmas theme. Well, we only read two Christmas picture books, but they were good ones: The Polar Express and Twas the Night Before Christmas.  I realize neither one was about Jesus.  I hope our kids get what this celebration is all about; now that I think on it again.  
  • I really wanted to laugh (since I can turn into a stressed-out-grouchy-Christmas-prep mom) and watch Elf as a family.  It was on the advent calendar.  We received it from Netflix, then we lost it. It's here somewhere, but no one is 'fessin' up to where they stashed it.  
  • And because we can't find Elf to mail back, we aren't able to watch the other Christmas movies in our Queue.  Bummer!  Guess we'll have to watch them in January and pretend it's still the Christmas season.
  • Then there's the crafty gift project I started 3 years ago.  I was going to complete it this year.  It's still in the closet.  RATS!
  • I just sat down to look at the Christmas game/toy catalog.  Perhaps I'll make the online order today and place the invoice in a box for the kids. That's pretty lame, I know.  Merry Christmas!  Your gifts should arrive in 7-10 days.
Since I have so much to do in preparation for Christmas and feel overwhelmed over it, I think I'll procrastinate a bit more and ponder a few of my Top Christmas Songs.

In years past, it seems like there were radio stations dedicated to month-long Christmas music.  It doesn't seem like it's the case anymore.  We've listened to Pandora Holiday Music channels.  It's been nice, but I haven't been playing my fave Christmas tunes, so I thought I'd blog them.  By blogging them I feel like they're getting much deserved attention.

These favorites may not be your favorites, but I like them.  I was raised listening to these tunes and despite some of the crazy lyrics, I LOVE THEM!  Not included are favorites like Michael Buble, Manheim Steamroller, Bing Crosby, etc.  The only songs that made it to the list are the ones I've listened to over 1000 times (I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea).

I'll count down from #10-#1.  #1 being my current favorite.

10.  It's Christmas All Over The World by New Edition

Okay, I know I'll probably get the cheesey award for this one, but I was a big New Edition fan!  The video quality here is pretty crummy, since it's a Solid Gold recording.  Someone must have had it on VHS.  Check out the moves!



9.  All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey

I had to do it!  Mariah & Christmas music from the 90's!  But here's an updated {somewhat creepy} of Mariah and Justin Beiber.  There's a huge part of me that feels despite how fabulous Mariah looks, looking sexy with the Beib singing All I Want For Christmas Is You is just Mary Kay Latourneau-ish creepy.



8.  Christmas Wrap by the Waitresses

This song just may be on the obnoxious Christmas song list for some, but it brings back great 80's memories for me.  It reminds me of high school, turtlenecks, crew neck sweaters and wandering the snowy streets of an extremely small mid-western town.



7.  Rocky Mountain Christmas by John Denver

I have to give #7 to a whole album.  This is one of my all-time favorite albums; probably because I grew up listening to it.  My hub hates it!  I torture him with the songs of Aspenglow and of course Please, Daddy Don't Get Drunk This Christmas. Not sure how that's a Christmas song and I never had a drunk daddy so this song never bothered me.  It was just another track on the album.  John Denver was a favorite at our home when I was growing up and I'm still sad he's no longer here.



6.  Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant

This song is written in Mary's perspective.  I love that!  I desperately want to know what she thought and how she felt to be chosen to carry Jesus.  This video was recorded at the Crystal Cathedral.  I took my Grandma there a couple years ago to see their Christmas program.  We had another great experience!



5.  The Prayer by Celine Dion with Andrea Boccelli

The lyrics to this beautiful song are amazing!  May this always be our prayer!

I pray you'll be our eyes, and watch us where we go
And help ;us to be wise in times when we don't know
Let this be our prayer, when we lose our way
Lead us to the place, guide us with your grace
To a place where we'll be safe

I pray we'll find your light, and hold it in our hearts
When stars go out each night,
remind us where you are
Let this be our prayer, when shadows fill our day
Help us find a place guide us with your grace
Give us faith so we'll be safe

A world where pain and sorrow will be ended
And every heart that's broken will be mended
And we'll remember we are all God's children
Reaching out to touch you
Reaching to the sky

We ask that life be kind, and watch us from above
We hope each soul will find another soul to love
Let this be our prayer, just like every child

Who needs to find a place, guide us with your grace
Give us faith so we'll be safe
Needs to find a place, guide us with your grace
Give us faith so we'll be safe



4.  O Holy Night by Celine Dion

"Fall on Your Knees" Brings me to tears.  If you have a relationship with Christ and really know him, this song has such a special meaning.  I know all heaven and earth celebrated the birth of God's son!  "Let all within us praise His name.  Christ is the LORD!"



3.  Mary Did You Know performed by Greg Otterholt

I think the first time I heard this song Greg was singing it.  We were blessed to get to know he and his wife years ago when I was selling real estate.  He has an amazing voice!

I love this song because the lyrics ask the questions floating around my mind.  I would love to sit down with the heroins of the Bible and soak them up, ask them what it was really like and gain their perspective.



2.  Sleigh Ride by Arthur Fiedler's Philharmonic

This song reminds me of being a kid.  Listening to the clomping noises thrilled me.  AND the best part is the "neigh" at the end!



1.  How Many Kings by Downhere

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this song!  I can't get enough of it!  When I listen to it, tears run down my cheeks.  I'm so honored to have such a King!


Well, back to reality.  Wish me luck as I try to conquer the unfinished in my life. AND....as if I didn't have enough to do I scheduled a mammogram for today!  

Merry Christmas!

No comments: