Wednesday, February 09, 2011

A WOW of a Day!

Sometimes, friends say I exhaust them.  I try not to take it personally, it's just the way we roll.  It's not that I'm an energy drainer, but the pace at which we live life can be a bit faster and more spontaneous than many people prefer.  Fortunately, I married a man that moves at the same pace and we've produced offspring who take after their parents. 

This week I discovered Ree Drummond, a.k.a. Pioneer Woman, was going to be at a local Barnes and Noble for a book signing.  Occasionally, I follow her blog as she is a fellow homeschooler, baker, cook, photographer, writer, etc.  I can identify with the first three things and when I grow up I'd like to follow in her footsteps as a photographer and a writer.  I admire what she's developed from the small beginnings of a blog.  It amazes me.  I'm not quite sure how she does it all.  She must have help...like Martha.  Martha's still one of my top faves, but Pioneer Woman seems to be a more down to earth, mud on the boots, adjusting-the-lingerie-in-public type of homeschool girlie who might be a little like a hair-in-a-pony messy kitchen girlie like me.  Martha's world is just what I dream of...someday.  It's all so perfect and beautiful.  It's really a Good Thing!  (Please no chastising me because I want to be Martha.  For me it's kind of like my kids dreaming of having a super-power.  My son wants to fly, and I want to be Martha).

Anyway, back to Pioneer Woman.  The evening before the event, I called Barnes and Noble for details.  I soon learned it was a "wristband" event.  Ugh!  This meant I'd have to drive about an hour, with the kids in the early morning, to hopefully get the wristband, then drive home only to drive back in the evening for the book signing.  I have a lot of energy, but I just didn't feel I had it in me to make the trek.

The next morning, after a cup of coffee and a discussion with the kids, we decided to just head out to B and N and enjoy the morning.  If I got a wristband I got a wristband.  If they were out ,we'd just have a treat, wander around the Farmer's Market and then head home.  Simple and casual. 

Beautiful Day

When we showed up to B and N we walked right up to the counter, got the wristband labeled "A" and left. So simple! Okay, first item checked off the list.

Got the wristband!

Off to the Farmer's Market.  I love this place!

The Grove
After the Farmer's Market we headed out walk a bit more so the kids could enjoy their slushie treats.  Then we noticed some filming activity.  We walked up and saw they were filming that evening's episode of EXTRA with Mario Lopez.  Fun! I snapped a couple pics of Mario and we stood watching the bustle of activity involved in filming.

Mario Lopez

While we were standing around watching, the organizer-type guy motioned for us to fill in the background.  He told us to "Move in, move in."  I looked at the kids and started giggling.  They returned with puzzled glances.  I then told them, "I think we're going to be on TV."  The next thing I knew, a gal told me to stand right next to Mario and that we were going to have a conversation.  I asked him what we were going to talk about and he said, "I'll tell you."  He was so nice and made everyone feel at ease.  The kids were place next to him also.  Our youngest was so excited about her television debut! 

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we don't have cable, so I asked friends and/or family to DVR the episode for us.  It looks like it may be months, but one day we'll be able to see it.  Apparently, we were on about four times.

As we were leaving, our youngest told me how much she loved being in front of the camera.  So cute!

After our 15 seconds of fame we headed home for the daily routine activities.  We were all excited about our surprise EXTRA event and the kids were busily calling grandparents, aunts, and friends letting them know to watch.

Late in the afternoon I headed back to B and N for the book signing.  Traffic was minimal and I made it in good time.  I was directed upstairs and placed in the "A" line.  I was nearly at the front of the line. 

Waiting for Ree to show up

The signing area

Just after 6:00pm Ree showed up.  She looked almost like what I expected.  She seemed different than her pictures in real-life.  She was so sweet and gracious.  Some gals had waited all day, and somehow I was in front of them.  Funny how that works out.  Anyway, when my turn came, rather than have someone else take the pic I opted for my famous self-portrait that I do with friends.  I know she's not a "real" friend, but when you follow someone on-line you kind of feel like they're a friend.  I think of my mom when she used to refer to her friends Jim (Dr. James Dobson) and Chuck (Chuck Swindoll) like they were her good buddies.  I guess when you listen to or read about someone you begin to feel like you know them. 

I told Ree we homeschooled also and we compared ages of kids.  It was a short meeting, but it was worth the craziness of the busy day.  I guess this is one more day lived to the fullest!

Ree signing other books

Ree and Me

The Book


No comments: