Sunday, September 17, 2006

A Human Penny Bank

We had a little scare here the other night. Our precious middle child came downstairs with tears in his big brown eyes along with a sincere look of panic. He had just swallowed a penny. My first question was, "Why did you put money in your mouth? and then, Why would you swallow it?" He just shook his head. I think it all happened so fast, before he knew it, it was gone.

So I quickly called the on-call doctor, as it was past normal business hours. Our conversation went as follows:

Doctor: "Hello."

Me: "Is this a doctor?"

"Yes."

"Well, with whom am I speaking?"

"This is Doctor X."

"Hello Doctor X. My son just swallowed a penny. He seems to be fine, but is there anything I should know?"

"I don't have many young children swallow pennies."

I thought to myself, "Well, who cares, I have a kid who DID just swallow a penny."

He then replied, "Well, it should pass. Well, unless it gets lodged and creates an obstruction. Then he may need surgery."

Well, can I say I felt very reassured at this point. Nice! An obstruction! Just what a mom needs to hear.

He then told me to call my regular doctor the following day to let him know and see what he said.

Our doctor said it should pass in 3 days or so. I was supposed to check, but I didn't. I was actually supposed to take a stick and check the contents of the toilet. I'm probably grossing you out so I'll stop.

Well, it's been 3 days. He's doing great! Awesome!! Crisis diverted.

A friend did mention to me, "Your kids seem to do all of 'those' things that we hear some kids do." I agreed.

No comments: