Friday, June 03, 2011

Paleo Salad Week: Tropical Cabbage Salad

Tropical Cabbage Salad

Today marks day four of a Paleo Challenge I'm doing with a friend at the gym.  I'm still feeling a bit sluggish so I think I need to be conscientious about getting the essential carbs and fats in to keep my mind alert.  In the past, when doing similar food challenges I've made boring food choices (chicken breast, chicken breast, and more chicken breast) and lose interest quickly.  This time around, I'm thinking of tasty new creations to keep my family happy and keep me on board with the challenge.

This afternoon I had such a sweet craving.  I wanted some fruit, but know on this challenge fruit is allowed, but limited.  I decided to create a Tropical Cabbage Salad.  It would offer a little sweetness, but would comprise mostly of cabbage which would fill me up.

This salad would go very well with seafood.  I wish we had some fresh white fish on hand or perhaps scallops. 

Tropical Cabbage Salad

1 head cabbage, shredded
3 green onions, diced
1 cup fresh or frozen mangoes, diced (found in freezer section at Trader Joe's)
1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple, diced (not canned pineapple)
1 firm avocado, diced
Cilantro, optional

Toss in large bowl

Great for summer color
Dressing

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
Juice from 1 lemon
Juice from 1 lime
1 tablespoon agave (optional)
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper

Pour dressing over salad and toss.

Enjoy!

No comments: