Thursday, July 14, 2011

Black Bottom Cupcakes- A Favorite!


Growing up, a favorite treat was a tasty, moist, gooey Black Bottom Cup.  These little yummies are one of my all-time favorites.  They are a moist chocolate cupcake with a sweet cream cheese filling in the center.  The cream cheese has mini chocolate chips added for another chocolaty surprise.

The other day I made a meal for a friend and wanted a delicious dessert to finish it.  Packed away in storage, is my cookbook with my mom's recipe for these little gems so I had to find an online recipe that would measure up. I think we did pretty well.  I usually don't make desserts I LOVE because I'm too tempted and will want to eat them all up on my own.  My will power has definitely been tested this week!

These cupcakes are fairly easy to make, but you do end up dirtying up a couple large bowls.  I do recommend making the cream cheese mixture in a food processor.  It's hard to really get the cream cheese smooth enough if doing it by hand.  An electric mixer should work well too.



I can't even stand blogging about these will power breakers!  I HAVE to go eat one!

Ingredients

Cream Cheese mixture:

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup mini-semisweet chocolate chips

Chocolate Cupcakes:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tins with paper cups.

In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt until light and fluffy.  Stir in the mini chocolate chips.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Make a well in the center and add the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla.  Stir together until blended. 

Fill muffin tins 1/3 full with the batter and then top with a dollop of the cream cheese mixture.

Bake 25-30 minutes in preheated oven.

Yum!  Enjoy!

No comments: